- This event has passed.
Radical Pilgrimage: The Saffron Trail: Essex Writers House
June 15 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pmFree
FREE (Suggested donation for pilgrimage stages)
Stage 1 – Southend to Belfairs / Hadleigh
Artist, writer, wild-crafter Lora Aziz will be taking part in a 7-day 70-mile Radical Pilgrimage along The Saffron Trail as part of our series of In My Steps: Radical Walks in Essex. You can join Lora for Stage 1 of the Radical Pilgrimage!
Before the main walk begins we will be inviting members of our Netpark Wellbeing groups to join us for a short warm-up walk around the grounds of Chalkwell Park.
- Distance: 5 miles
- Time: 2.5 hours approx (including warm-up walk at Chalkwell Park)
- Starting point: Metal, Chalkwell Park, London Road, Westcliff-on-Sea, SS0 8NB
- Finishing point: The entrance to Great Wood, Poors Lane, Hadleigh, Benfleet, SS7 2LA
- Tickets: Donation – suggested donation £10
Find out more about this leg of the walk including highlights and things to discover along the way at visitessex.com
Things to note
- This is a linear walk. You will need to arrange your own transport to and from the start and finish points.
- The end time is approximate. The duration of the walk will depend on many things including weather, terrain, and who knows what we will encounter along the way. An adventurous spirit is required.
- You can find out more details about each leg of the walk on the Visit Essex website – search for Saffron Trail. But please note, in true Essex Book Festival style, we are doing the walk backwards – Visit Essex instructions are for those travelling south – we are travelling north.
- Please wear sturdy, comfortable shoes/boots and dress appropriately for the weather. We suggest you bring an umbrella, sun hat and sun cream just in case and bring along a water bottle for refreshment and snacks.
The Saffron Trail
The Saffron Trail stretches for 70 miles passing through five county districts: Uttlesford, Chelmsford, Rochford, Castle Point and Southend.
Starting at Southend Pier, The Saffron Trail hugs The Thames until it reaches Hadleigh Country Park. It then turns inland towards Hockley Woods, before pivoting north towards Danbury, Chelmsford and Great Dunmow, and finally arriving at Saffron Walden, the one-time UK capital of saffron.
For full details of the Radical Pilgrimage visit https://essexbookfestival.org.uk/event/radical-pilgrimage-the-saffron-trail/